After creating my wall hanging for the field project my work was select to be exhibited for 6 weeks in the botanical gardens of Wales. This is an amazing opportunity and hopefully it is the start of many. Since starting this course I have already had my work displayed in two exhibitions and we have the opportunity over the summer to make some work to sell in crafts in the bay gallery.
I’ve learned so much so far on this course and there has been opportunity I wouldn’t have had if I didn’t come here. I’ve really enjoyed this course and can’t wait to see where the next two years are going to take me.
Also while and the botanical gardens of Wales putting my work up we has the chance to explore again, last time we went it was winter so there wasn’t many flowers however in the summer there it is truly beautiful with all the flowers. So I took the chance to draw some of theses beautiful flowers.
My 6 Final designs have been selected from a huge collection of design, the first 4 have been create on Illustrator and the last 2 on Photoshop. My Brief I chose the theme Re-E-val-U-8 therefore I based it around 50s retro, looking at bold, colourful imagery. I really took myself out off my comfort zone for this project as I normal create patterns that are inspired by natural and my drawing style is a lot more sketchy than the bold and solid like retro is. therefore really I could have suited scanned memory theme more as it was based around nature, but I wanted to challenge myself.
I’m extremely pleased with how my final design have turned out considering before this project I have never used illustrator before and I’ve only ever used Photoshop to do basic photo editing but never drawing with this software. And I feel as a collection these design complement each other well and I have captured this theme through the use of bold colours and images that relates to the the mid-century. Also I’ve never had a colour scheme before and I believe that is really does help to create a collection to work together. Also I can see these final designs working really well on kitchen ware and interior designs.
I have absolutely loved this project. I’ve learnt so many new skills in the course of only 6 weeks and how much very managed to develop in my skills in this time excites me to see what I can produce in the next few year. also I’m extremely thankful as well for lucy’s help and advice through this project and she is very inspirational to know that you can build an independent business from nothing. overall I believe that I have benefited really well from this project as it is some I could see myself exploring more other the years and I have really enjoyed it. I never saw myself as a digital designer but after this project I can see self using digital a lot more in my work to come.
I found this technique really amazing, displacement mapping on Photoshop allows you a wrap one object around another. Therefore making it look like it is was always on there. this is a great technique for testing out you design on projects before actually make these products. for example I took my designs and place them on to numerous different kitchen ware items and interior items to see how the would like, and I’m very pleased with the out come.
over these last few weeks I have been on Photoshop and Illustrator all the time coming up with so many different concepts using different technique and having fun with the different tools there are to offer. however one thing that I have found to be a hard challenge is that my colour scheme can some time clash really bad together therefore I cant just put a block colour as a background as it just wont work Therefore I have been trying ways in with I can get these backgrounds too work, like instead of having block colours have strips or the same image with the opacity down so it looks like an reflection and this has been working very well. Here are a few that Ive created over the last few weeks.
I am very please with my final colour board and I prefer it to my mood board actually, this might just be because when creating this one I had a bit more experience compared to when I was doing my mood boards. also I decided it would be better to go with a limited colour scheme due to the fact to all the colours are very bold due to the theme. here is my Final colour board.
I took one of my drawing concepts in to illustrator to see what I could create with experimenting with the different colour and scale and just about anything really. the only thing I started to notice with these design is that they didn’t look very retro but more day of the day and that wasn’t the look I was going for, so even through I really like how these designs have turned out its not going to work as one of my design because they aren’t retro enough. But that doesn’t matter too much as I can only develop more ideas from this and nothing is lost.
after finding out how to use image trace on illustrator I wanted to try it out with some of my concept designs, I took the image of a kettle, plate and a spoon and experimented with the scale and opacity within the designs. I really enjoyed the technique and I’m extremely happy with the reap pattern I was able to create. Also what I found interesting with image trace is that you can use it with your own drawing too therefore I can them through illustrator.